There are many coding bootcamps out there that provide scholarships for women to cover all or part of tuition and living expenses. Coding bootcamps are eager to have women apply so that more women can get into the tech field. There are lot of people in tech who are passionate about changing the ratio of men to women in tech! In fact, if you are a particularly outstanding candidate some bootcamps will look at applicants on a case by case basis for additional financial aid so do not let finances stop you from applying!
Below is a comprehensive list of bootcamps that currently provide scholarships for women and the specifics about each. If you are a women looking to make a transition and learn how to program I highly recommend checking out some of these bootcamps. You can learn more by either visiting our bootcamp finder!
- Bitmaker Labs (Toronto): They offer a Web Development course and a User Experience and Interface Design course starting . Check out their Grace Hopper Scholarship for Women in Computing.
- Code Core (Vancouver): They currently offer a Rails Bootcamp and an iOS Bootcamp. CodeCore offers scholarship grants to the under-represented demographic of women in the industry through organizations such as Canadian Women in Communications.
- Codeup (San Antonio, TX): They offer classes on the LAMP stack (Linux/Apache/MySQL/PHP) and 3 scholarships to aspiring women at 50% off tuition for every class.
- Coding Campus (Provo, UT): Their program focuses on Python due to the language’s popularity in Utah. Their website states that “offer three individual scholarships for Women, Minorities, and Military Personal.”
- Dev Bootcamp (New York, Chicago, San Francisco): Among many other web development languages you will learn Ruby on Rails! They have partnered with Girl Develop It to offer a $2,500 Girl Develop It Scholarship
- DevPoint Labs (Salt Lake City, Las Vegas): DevPoint Labs currently has two different bootcamps, Web Development and iOS and offer a $2,000 Scholarship for Women.
- Flatiron School (New York): Flatiron School is a great place to learn Web and iOS Development. Their website states that “grants and scholarships available for students from underrepresented groups like females and minorities”
- General Assembly (London, Sydney, Boston, San Francisco, New York, Hong Kong, Los Angeles): General Assembly currently offers a Google Fellowship for Women Scholarship via their Opportunity Fund whichconsists of a $8,500 tuition subsidy for their Web Development program. The scholarship is currently available for students at the New York City location.
- Hackbright Academy *females-only bootcamp* (San Francisco): This uniquely female-only bootcamp currently focuses on teaching Python and they provide “need-based scholarships” and “partial scholarships to a limited number of students”
- Hacker School *free* (New York): The infamous “a writers retreat for programmers,” Hacker School doesn’t teach a specific program but gives its student the opportunity to work on a project of their choosing for a 12 weeks. There is are need based grants for living expenses for women.
- Ironhack (Miami, Madrid, Barcelona): Currently offer Web Development and iOS and there is a 1000 EUR Scholarship for Women.
- Launch Academy (Boston): Currently teaching Ruby and offer a $500 dollar discount for women.
- Makers Academy (London): Teaching Ruby on Rails and currently offering a £500 scholarship for women.
- Metis (New York, Boston): A Ruby on Rails in-person bootcamp staffed and curated by thoughbot developers guided by Kaplan’s education metrics.There is a $2,000 scholarship for women.
- Nashville Software School (Nashville): The school currently operates two bootcamps: one for Web Development Foundations and one for Software Development Foundations (centered around Ruby on Rails). “Grants and scholarships are available for students from underrepresented groups like women and minorities.”
More information on bootcamps in the US and worldwide check out Thinkful’s bootcamp finder.