Ok mi gente! Time to start preparing for the LATINO2 Conference. This time however we are going to shake things drastically because we need to take drastic measures to tackle the horrifying phenomenon we are currently living in Tech-o-Landia. As a typical developer, I would like to start with these facts:
1) Latin@s are still getting less than 1% of VC funding. Read more about it a previous post about how invisible Latino Tech-Startups are in VC-Landia.
2) Still today (3 years later), we cannot identify a hand full of Latino founders who can serve as role models to our community. I have asked V.Cs of all levels and not one has been able to give me a list.
3) 99% of accelerator programs out there look exactly the same. You must leave your job and family for 6-12 weeks to fake to be a “cool start-up kid who can even afford to do that” – Almost telling us in our face: “Who the hell you think you are to pretend to start a tech venture while paying your bills and raising your family?” No Latin@s Allowed!!!
4) Still the perception out there is that you must move to Silicon Valley to get funded or to even be respected.
5) The FCC is not doing enough to hold the Telecom industry (just to name one) accountable for this issue. This isn’t a public accusation. This is only a public result of why the first fact listed here hasn’t moved in a year.
6) We are being left out of most conversations when it comes to creating programs that really fit our community. As a result, we still have fact #3 on this list.
So we have two choices:
1) We can keep complaining about these facts, we can keep accusing others for leaving us out, we can keep feeling like hopeless victims….. Pobrecitos!
2) We can take el toro por los cuernos and start making strategic steps to change this situation. If you are feeling as angry as we feel. If you are as frustrated as we are. If you still have fuerza left to make concrete results happen. Then join the LATINO2 team. We’re calling Latin@ Tech-Startups, Founders, Developers, Co-Founders, Venture Capitalists, Accelerators, Policy Makers, Angels, Corporations, Foundations, Social Entrepreneurs, Educators, Marketers, MBAs and Activists to join the LATINO2 Tech Community. Only if we get our knowledge and experiences together we will be able to win this battle.
If you don’t see this issue as battle, then we don’t need you here. It’s a huge shame to leave the fastest growing population in the country out of the innovation train that is leading America. The future of the country is at stake if this trend is not changed NOW. As drastic as this might sound, we’re only calling those who get our sense of urgency here. The rest will join later when we become cool and big. I’ve seen that happen with LATISM and of course it will happen with LATINO2 as well. Today we’re calling the apasionados in this topic. Ready? Fill in the form here so we can get started: