It’s that time of the year again! You know, the one when the world suddenly realizes there’s a Hispanic Heritage that needs to be celebrated?
While we think it’s amazing that the many contributions of our community are recognized for at least a couple of weeks, with numbers reaching over 50 million on the mainland and another 4 million in Puerto Rico, is one month out of the year enough to celebrate our mothers, fathers, brothers and sisters who give so much of their “alma, corazón y vida” to better the lives of their families every single day?
For us at #LATISM, Hispanic/Latino Heritage happens to be EVERY DAY/MONTH/YEAR!
At the same time, why waste an opportunity to get our thoughts out there, to celebrate our Raza and moreover – to celebrate the independence of Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras and Nicaragua?
Tonight, put on your thinking cap and your dancing chanclas and join us as we celebrate and discuss:
- What do you like/dislike about Hispanic Heritage month?
- What do you think would be a better way to celebrate our culture in the US?
- What are some ways we can celebrate Latino culture every day?
- How do we make sure our heritage stays alive?
- Do you think celebrations like Hispanic Heritage Month contributes to what has been called the “Cultural Ghettoization of Latinos”?
As you know, LATISM members live in three different time zones, and for this reason, we have instituted a fun tradition we call our “After-party” where we tweet music, jokes, random questions and whatever else YOU guys want after the formal party is over. You are welcome to stay and “hang out” with us… hasta las quince de la mañana!