Guest Post by Eva Smith (@Eva_Smith)
- 3 years, 2 months and 1 day. The time it took from the first Tweet to the billionth Tweet.
- 1 week. The time it now takes for users to send a billion Tweets.
- 50 million. The average number of Tweets people sent per day, one year ago.
- 140 million. The average number of Tweets people sent per day, in the last month.
- 177 million. Tweets sent on March 11, 2011.
- 456. Tweets per second (TPS) when Michael Jackson died on June 25, 2009 (a record at that time).
- 6,939. Current TPS record, set 4 seconds after midnight in Japan on New Year’s Day.
- 572,000. Number of new accounts created on March 12, 2011.
- 460,000. Average number of new accounts per day over the last month.
- 182%. Increase in number of mobile users over the past year.
- 8. 29. 130. 350. 400. Number of Twitter employees in Jan 2008, Jan 2009, Jan 2010, Jan 2011 and today.
In the past year Twitter has grown to be one the most popular micro blogging site and a resourceful Social Media platform for breaking news, sports, politics and non-profit campaigns. Twitter is also useful to follow interesting people that you would normally not be able to follow in day to day life (ie The President of the United States, Celebrities, Entertainers & more).
My Twitter account was born on May 24, 2009. I created the account and left it untouched for a couple of months. One day, when trying to figure out how to use twitter, I started to tweet the top 10 things I learned that day. The next day I picked another topic and tweeted the top 10 things I learned and viola! and the rest is history. It is now my #1 resource for breaking news and a resource to connect with other Latinos in Social Media. For me, twitter is like a classroom where you can learn a lot about trends, the direction certain applications and tools seem to be moving towards. You can even find out immediate information about a product launch and customer feedback. On other days it is a way to broadcast information to your group(s) by using the group’s #hashtag or having to send out individual emails of tag people on your messages. You can also follow conferences, sports and participate in non-profit campaigns by following #hashtags as well. I’m so glad I found twitter because I found mi gente Latina in Social Media on Twitter.
Let’s talk about Twitter Birthday’s:
Check out Twitter Birthday Application to find out the day of your Twitter Birthday. When is your twitter birthday? What are your top uses of Twitter? What have you learned from using Twitter?
Eva Smith is a Team Lead – Principal Engineer for a major Telecommunications company. Her blog,Tech.Food.Life, highlights products, news & events about Technology, Food & Lifestyle. She promotes events that support the advancement of Women, Education & New Media. She is a Latino2 Ambassador and volunteers with Department of Education & AVID programs.