I am so thrilled to announce a series of sustainable projects that LATISM will be undertaking in order to bring our mission forward. We have received so much. Now it’s time for you and me to give back in very concrete ways. I will not ask for money or donations. These projects will take way more than that. I will ask for YOU! Come and bring your knowledge, your talents, your experience, your strengths, your passion. Come and bring YOURSELF! this can be done in person and/or online. If you are with me so far, keep reading because this will get better.
Remember LATISM4Haiti? we were able to raise thousands and thousands of dollars for that project which we donated to the AARP Foundation. In light of the current situation in Haiti with still millions of homeless and orphans we have decided to implement the pilot LATISM Sustainable Development Project right on the border of Haiti. This will ensure a safe infrastructure but also the vicinity to the mothers and children we want to help.
Ready? We are going to run three main projects in parallel from July 11th to July 29th 2011:
PROJECT 1: LATISM SUMMER CAMP
Yes, that’s right! We will run a Summer Camp for 150 kids and teens with a series of one week workshops to build capacity in a fun and engaging way through sports, visual arts, performing arts and technology.
All workshop will have a concrete result at the end of each week. We will have a tournament on Friday mornings and a Show every Friday evenings where the performing and visual arts workshops can display their work. We will have the book releases, exhibits and short films online as well. This will give our entire LATISM community an opportunity to be part of the project.
Initial Workshop Ideas:
Sports: Soccer, Baseball, Volleyball, Basketball, Martial Arts
Performing Arts: Theater, Film, Dance, Music
Visual Arts: Watercolors, Photography, Sculpture, Ceramics
Academic Skills: English as a second language, Computer Skills, Entrepreneurship, Social Media 101, Spanish Immersion, Applied Math, Blogging 101, Vlogging 101
PROJECT 2 – LATISM CYBER ROOM
We will build a cyber room on the village in order to leave them connected with their new LATISM familia and the world. The following will be included/installed:
1) 20 Laptops
2) 1 Router
3) 5 Flip cameras (to lend for max 1 day by the community members)
4) 5 Digital cameras (to lend for max 1 day by the community members)
5) Microsoft Office Suite
8) (we might add more things down the road)
PROJECT 3 – MAMA X MAMA
The scope of this project is to build technical capacity among mothers to help them connect to the global community in order to:
1) Join a supporting network of mothers
2) Have the tools to express their voices and represent their community
3) Create small online enterprises to improve their finances (help a mom and you help a family)
We will use the LATISM Cyber Rooms as the hub for the Mamá por Mamá project. Ideally we will leave a group of local mothers in charge to train fellow mothers and to manage the Cyber Room and equipment loans throughout the week.
You can get involved with this project in many ways:
1) Come for a minimum of one week to teach a computer class (must be in Spanish or French/Creole)
2) Come for a minimum of one week to teach an English class (no Spanish needed)
3) Volunteer to teach a private English class to a mom (on Skype)
4) Hire the moms we will train to provide cyber services.
5) Buy the products from the LATISM Sustainable e-commerce when it’s ready at the end of the summer
6) Promote their store, blog, products on your blog
Adopt a mom and coach her on how to blog, network online, provide online services and generate revenue
We will need all Latinos in Social Media to get involved on this project. Here are some ideas:
1) Come for a minimum of one week to volunteer on the project (More details to come later during the week)
2) Organize a collection of school supplies, toys and used laptops, flip cameras and digital cameras in your next LATISM Tweetup, at church, your job, family, school or anywhere where you have influence.
3) Hire the moms and camp teens we will train to provide cyber services.
4) Buy the products from the LATISM Sustainable e-commerce when it’s ready at the end of the summer
Imagine how amazing to be able to actually go to this village and make a difference in the lives of so many people. If you’ve come this far on the post, you deserve to know this information:
- The best part is that the village is located on one of the most beautiful virgin beaches of the island.
- Since we want to live the life style of the people of the village, it will cost $10/day for room and board (on a sleeping bag or an inflatable bed) and food.
- We also want moms to come with your kids, so we’ll have a great Spanish Full Immersion Camp for our kids
- We will have a tournament on Friday mornings and a Show every Friday evenings where the performing and visual arts workshops can display their work. So the fun will be guaranteed!
- Excursions!!! We will have great trips on the weekends to explore the island and recharge for the week’s workload. You should calculate these outings to cost from $30 to $80 depending on where we decide to go. The volunteers will vote on the destination. There might be different excursions going on during the same weekend since the volunteers with kids might have different priorities than the volunteers who come without kids.
Are you already excited? Because I am – BIG TIME!
We will have a site dedicated to the project with every single detail you will need. In the meantime, please let me know what you think of this initiative and start giving your valuable suggestions. This is our project so let’s build it together.